Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Birthday Party Was a Success




If there's one thing my granddaughter, Chloe, loves, it's pink. Fortunately, so do I. It was a pink everything party, even the Barbie doll in the cake had pink hair. It was so much fun to put together and trying to find all the pink stuff. I think I blew a enough balloons to float to the Land of Oz if I had tied them all together and hung on.




I was the most excited about the ballerinas I made. I talked about them for days, took them to work with me to work on, told everybody about them, and being the Queen of the Last Minute, I finally pulled them together at the last possible moment just minutes before she got to the party.


She loves Barbies, too, so I made her dresses for her Barbies. Fortunately, these were made ahead of time, so no last minute rushes!
Here she is with some of the dresses;









One thing about the barbie cake- it was my first so I just kind of winged it, so I'm sorry there are no pictures, but I'll try to describe a bit of how she was made. I used a Wilton Wonder Mold
but found the doll was too tall for the cake. I added a layer cake to the bottom of the dress and worked it in under the frosting. But really, it could have used another layer to be tall enough to fit up to her waist. So I continued the rosettes to her waist even though there was no cake from her bottom on up. I used a star tip to make rosettes to her waist and then changed to a smaller star tip for the bodice. I used a ribbon tip for the white ribbon on the front of the gown and a drop flower tip for the flowers.
I intended to use a cake mix but didn't, and I am glad I ended up hand mixing the batter because I don't think a cake mix cake would hold its shape without falling apart. The frosting was buttercream.

My next adventure in baking comes next week at work for our version of Cupcake Wars. This is going to be on March 7. Me, being the Queen of Last Minute, has not picked a recipe yet. So, this Sunday I plan to have a bake off with my top 3 recipes and invite family and friends for the taste test. I promise to make pictures and obtain recipes and to blog all about it.





Until next time,



No comments:

Post a Comment