Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Cupcake Wars... Better Late Than Never!





Oh my goodness, I am a bad girl! I promised Cupcake Wars pictures and didn’t deliver! Well, here is my winner… pink hydrangea flowers in a basket. I won first place in design on this one. The cupcakes are white chocolate truffle with buttercream frosting.
I got the idea for a cupcake basket from Pinterest and I just fell in love with them. There were a lot of good tutorials on making cupcakes look like flowers and I have a lot of them posted on my Pinterest
This is my recipe:



White Chocolate Cupcakes with Truffle Filling
Ingredients:
Cupcakes

  • 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) cake flour (see Cook’s Tip)


  • 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder


  • 2/3 cup (150 mL) whole milk


  • 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Double-Strength Vanilla


  • 4 egg whites, room temperature


  • 6 tbsp (90 mL) butter, softened


  • 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar


  • 1/4 cup (50 mL) sour cream



  • 12 round white or dark chocolate truffles, unwrapped





  • Directions:

  • 1. Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Place paper liners in wells of Muffin Pan. Whisk flour and baking powder in Small Batter Bowl. Combine milk and vanilla in (1-cup/250-mL) Easy Read Measuring Cup. In Stainless (2-qt./2-L) Mixing Bowl, beat egg whites on high speed of electric mixer until stiff peaks form. In Stainless (4-qt./4-L) Mixing Bowl beat butter and granulated sugar on medium-high speed until fluffy; beat in sour cream until smooth. On medium speed, add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with milk mixture in two additions, mixing until smooth. Whisk in one-third of the egg whites with Stainless Whisk. Fold in remaining egg whites using whisk. Using Large Scoop, divide batter evenly among liners.will melt into cupcakes.)


  • 2. Bake 17-20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Remove pan from oven to Stackable Cooling Rack. Immediately snip a 1/2-inch-deep (1-cm) “x” into top of each cupcake using Professional Shears. Press one truffle into each cupcake until flush with top of cupcake. Remove cupcakes from pan. Cool 30 minutes or to room temperature. (Truffles will melt into cupcakes.) ***I found that a big truffle was too much so I cut it in half and it was fine.***


  • Yield: 12 servings



  • Nutrients per serving: (1 cupcake): Calories 510, Total Fat 28 g, Saturated Fat 18 g, Cholesterol 55 mg, Sodium 260 mg, Carbohydrate 59 g, Fiber 0 g, Protein 6 g

    U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving: 2 starch, 2 fruit, 5 fat (4 carb)

    Cook’s Tips: To ensure fine-textured cupcakes, it’s important to use cake flour for this recipes. Cake flour can be found in boxes in the baking aisle.

    I used a simple buttercream frosting which is;
    1 cup white shortening
    4 cups powdered sugar
    2 to 4 Tbsp milk- depending on how thick you want this
    1 tsp clear vanilla
    1 tsp imitation butter flavor


    Mix all up until creamy and pipe away!


    My second entry didn’t win anything, but raised a few eyebrows since it was hard to imagine bacon on cupcakes tasting good. Well, it does taste good if the cupcake is French Toast with Maple Buttercream!
    I used the recipe found here at Bakingdom
    They were delicious, the bacon was my added touch. One thing about the recipe- watch overfilling the cups. I found I could get about 30 cupcakes from the recipe. I made it the first time I only did 24, so the cupcakes went all over the top of the pan. Not pretty.

    Here are my beauties:





    Always,

    Ann

    No comments:

    Post a Comment